We know and have heard from our members that finding excellent team members and having them stay is one of the biggest challenges that dental practice owners face. In the past 11 years, I have hired for every area of the dental office and here are my top tips for finding and hiring a great team:
- Be clear on the TYPE of person you are wanting in your office. Hiring out of urgency feels tempting; but, if the person you hire does not exemplify the qualities outlined in your core values, then you are wasting valuable time and money on a team member that will probably not last long.
- Write a COMPELLING ad. Sell the attributes of your office and entice applicants by sharing the best parts of working for your practice. Is it the amazing town you live in? Is it how close your team is? Is it how you are dedicated to serving the community? Also, be sure to outline what success looks like for someone in this role. (Hint: Use Chat GPT to help if writing is not your thing!)
- Review resumes and respond to candidates QUICKLY. This is key. In this market, good candidates are scooped up quickly. Reach out to connect and move to the next steps in your interview process ASAP when they apply. A personal or admin assistant can be utilized to make this process as quick and effective as possible. (Connect with me inside of DSN if you are thinking of bringing on a PA and need support.)
- Utilize a SKILLS ASSESSMENT or a working interview. For administrative positions I highly recommend Hire Select to verify they have the general and computer knowledge to be great in those roles. For clinical positions, consider a working interview or having them explain the steps of certain procedures to verify they have the skillset for the role.
- Have an effective ONBOARDING process. Be ready when you do find that ideal candidate to get them into the office and they fully understand the ins and outs of your business so they can be set up for success in their role. This means having systems set up, protocols in place, and the equipment that they need to be great at their job.
There you have it: my top tips for hiring in 2023. DSN Members have access to a whole host of Hiring Resources inside the network. If you are not a member, CLICK HERE to join and get access to ad templates, interview questions, onboarding recommendations, and much more.